Wednesday, October 7, 2015

a big dose of mom guilt...

My child is sick...ugh. Its one of the WORST things a mom hears/says. For many reasons. First and foremost, its upsetting that out sweet children get sick. We don't want them to feel awful. We don't want them to be in pain. We want them healthy and playing and learning and smiling!

 But unfortunately, sickness comes about every child. And when it is one of my beauties turn, I turn into  different mom. I wish I was the kind of mom that was able to JUST sit and snuggle my sick one. I wish we could JUST watch television all day, read our favorite books, eat a warm cup of soup and take a nap.

BUT reality is different. At least for me. When my children get sick my first goal is to get the sick one better. My second goal is to make sure it doesnt spread. This turns me into my alter ego, Super Germ Killer! Once this mama changes into this uniform its all over. These germs don't stand a chance!

Typically when I have a sick babe, I got through at least one bottle of lysol spray, a tub of lysol wipes, a few ounces of hand sanitizer and TONS of hand soap. My laundry piles gets taller and my washer is running more. I bust out my Do Terra oils like a mad scientist/hocus pocus witch concocting mystical potions that wipe out illness in a flash!

When I have a sick babe it amazes me that my daily chores and duties STILL call my name...imagine that! The dishes still need to be done, toilets still need to be scrubbed. Things still spill, on the floor needing to be cleaned and the counters still get sticky. Breakfast, lunch and dinner still needs to be planned and prepared and served...and then cleaned up. Errands still need to be run, groceries still need to be bought, phone calls STILL need to be made. On top of the already existing list of to do's, having a sick babe usually means a new list. A doctor appointment, maybe a pharmacy run, a call to excuse them from school. If its a upset tummy sickness, I usually have throw up to clean and blankets to add to that laundry pile.

Sometimes when they are sick, I feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off! That and Cinderella combined! Mom I need a drink. Mommy can you get me a new blankie. Mom I feel hot. (run to get the thermometer and medicine.) Mommy can I have a snack. (Anything that isn't dairy, isn't sugar, doesnt have red 40 and too rough on their throats) A mama could go bananas!




Usually, when all the chores are squeezed into the day of sick, and all the meals are done, the other family members are taken care of and I can take  a deep breath, I can lay with the sick one and cuddle until they fall asleep in my arms. Just to do it all again the next day.


One day I might be that mom that does NOTHING but cuddles and snuggles with my sick babe. But with SO many other needs from me...and so many IMPORTANT things to run around doing FOR the sick one, I just feel lucky I can hold them AT ALL. It will always hurt my heart that I can't be the rocking chair mama...but at least my children get better fast, right? And MOST of then time, no one else in the family gets sick. Which is saying a LOT! Because a sick MAMA is NOT allowed ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment