Wednesday, August 19, 2015

mole...

I have been blessed with AMAZING grandmas. One is Mexican. The other is Scot-Irish. 
My mexican grandma, we call her MaConChita, was the master at her craft. She could make a perfect Mexican meal for us at anytime of day. Naturally. 
Her beans, though. THEY are truly heaven on Earth. 

Well, one summer she taught me how to make Mole. 
I'm going to share her recipe BUT please please note that you should have your windows opened to air out your house while making this because these chiles are POTENT:)

You can find these few ingredients in the produce section or your grocery store. To make it simple find a Mexican grocery to get exactly what you want :)



Red Enchilada Sauce
(mole)


About 30 small red chili's
About 12 large red chili's
About 2 TBS molido


(open windows and doors)

Boil red chilis, small in a pot and large in another pot, without stems. 
Water should cover the top of the chilis.
DO NOT DRAIN WATER!
Once chilis feel limp and soft, add some of the large water/chili mixture to a blender. 
Empty into a large bowl and then add small chili water mixture to a blender.  
Empty into another large bowl. 
You should have a bowl or blended LARGE CHILI mixture and a bowl of SMALL CHILI mixture.
Add large chili mixture to blender, adding small amounts of small chili mixture to it. Use SMALL amounts pf the small chilis mixture as they are VERY HOT!

This is where you can add crushed red pepper or chili powder if desired.
Then add molido a tablespoon at a time.  
Molido will calm the heat. 
 We jar this and use it as often as needed. 


Enchiladas 

At least a dozen warmed tortillas
4 chicken breasts (boiled and shredded)
1 small can diced green chilis
1 1/2 cups sour cream (and more for later)
lots of cheese. I use at least a cup
I first bill my chicken and then use my kitchen aid to shred the daylights out of it :)






Then I mix in a bowl cheese, sour cream, green chilis and mole. 


I mix this with the shredded chicken. 
Warm up your tortillas. I like to stuff mine full so i use at LEASET 12 tortillas but sometimes 15. Stuff those babies up and line them in a pyrex dish or a parchment lined cookies sheet. 



After I stuff them and line them up in a pan, I pour mole on top of them, spread that all over and then cover with shredded cheese. 



I bake these in an oven set at 350* for 10-15 mins or until the cheese has melted on top.

You can also top with olives and more green chilis before you bake them. 
Serve with sour cream, beans and rice. 


-xoxo












No comments:

Post a Comment