Monday, August 17, 2015

my child didn't make the team...

Guess what? My daughter didn't make the team. 
She didn't win. 
Of course my heart was crushed. I watched her try her hardest.
I watched her practice until it was dark outside. 
I saw the sweat and determination in her face.
I watched her strength and belief in herself grow. 
Then I watch her try. 
I watch her be judged. 
I got to see her and her competition. 
I saw the look of excited turn to worry.
Her sweet smile hidden with self doubt.
When messed up she had the look of frustration smeared across her face. 
I watched as my beautiful child encouraged other girls when they didn't do THEIR  best. I saw her pick herself up when she fell. I got to witness my daughter put on a brave face and push forward. I watched as she gave it her all. 
 I saw her cry.  I held her as she was so upset. I listened as she told me how badly she wanted to be on the team. I watched tears stream down her face. I rubbed her back and told her all the amaizing things she did. Then I left her to herself. I let her take it all in and really let the pain sit. Then I watched her walk through the door, give her daddy a hug. I watched my husband hold her and say he was proud of her. I saw a tiny smile on her face. I watched her walk away knowing she did her best. It wasn't enough...but she did her best. 

I heard about how she lifted her friends spirits when they told her they didn't make it either. I listened as she told me about the conversation she had with her friends. 
My pride in my child grew, as if it was big enough already. 

You guys who REALLY is the winner? Her character astounds me. We hear all the time, We can't ALL win all the time. There MUST be a loser. And it's true. In a race, game etc we can't always win....but we CAN always come out on top. And today, my darling girl, surly came out on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment