Friday, August 14, 2015

only daughters for us...


hi, my name is teresa and I have four daughters.
(hi, teresa).

It has been 15 years since my first pregnancy and all I seem to make are girls.
FOUR girls. 1.2.3.4.

Over the past 15 years I have had the usual,
 "she's adorable!"
"she looks just like you!"
"Look at her beautiful hair!"
type of comments.

But it seemed after each new daughter was born,
 I got a few NEW comments added to the typical list.
"FOUR daughters?!!"
"Wow. ALL girls?!"
"Good LUCK!"
"Do you own a shot gun?"
"Have you invested in Kotex?"
"Oooooh those teenage years are gunna be rough!"
and my very favorite ( not)
"Are you going to try for a boy??"


Well, I'll tell you what. I really didn't mind them at first. The comments ;)
But then after daughter number three, it got old.

Yes people. YES. I have THREE daughters and no sons.
What gave it away the huge bows or the pierced ears?
The tutu's. It must have been those dang tutu's.
LUCK? What does that mean? I don't need luck raising my children.

And then baby number four came...another daughter. My sweet husband literally cried when we left the doctors office. Looked at him with a silent tear running down his face and said out loud, "Babe! We can try again! I'll do this again!


yeah no.

 So NOW my shopping trips, vacations, church gatherings, outings and school sign ups were even more filled with the same questions I was already expecting.

Well, yes...yes I DO have 4 daughters!
Yes! All girls! Can you believe it?!
Don't worry...we have stock in Kotex!
A BOY? Oh honey number 2, 3 and 4 were all TRIES for a boy!

A shotgun? We have four.

word.


 Can I just say right here that I LOVE having all daughters.
(yes, teresa, you can.)
Okay, thanks. Because it has been GREAT with hand me down clothes and blankets and shoes and bows and bedroom decorating is a breeze for me!!

I don't have to worry about circumcision, sweaty pits, feeding a horse, the sex talk I have NO clue about! (my husband lucked out of that one, too. lame.)
In fairness-being the dad to all girls is a rough gig. and we are thankful everyday for ours.


Yes. Having girls HAS been loud. They talk FOREVER.
 Every little detail is important and I surly know about them.
Pink is a color I never thought I would actually like again...last time being when I was  six.
But man! Show me the perfect light rose dresser with soft
Chantilly pink handles and I am SOLD!
Tears? why yes...I have seen tears galore.
LUCK? okay someday I see why they said good luck. ;)


 BUT.
but but but but but
I have NOT seen blood and boogers and scabs and loogies.
(well except for my husbands ;)
Farts aren't as common, private parts being itched,
hairy faces/pits/legs don't show up too often here.
Burps and loud clapping after a three pointer from half court are reserved for the husband...I can handle that.

Having girls has been a trip for us. There are SO many things we LOVE about having all daughters. And maybe just ONE true thing that is rough for me.
We LOVE that our girls cook.
We LOVE that they are helpful around the house.
We LOVE that they are motivated and responsible.
We LOVE that they are helpful, compassionate and thoughtful.
We LOVE their hearts.

The very only one thing that i really struggle with is that I have SO much to teach them.
Some days it seems it is ALL on my shoulders. I am their primary example of how to be a good woman/human being. I don't care what anyone says, girls gravitate mainly to their mothers. MINE surly do and the pressure is ON! I take it seriously. and playfully...but seriously.
So I better do it right! ;)


Daughters will always stay close to home (fingers crossed).

They will take care of us when we are old (hopefully).
And one day I will see myself in the way they teach and grow and learn and love.
THAT will be my final grade.











No comments:

Post a Comment