Friday, September 4, 2015

bedroom re-do...

Oh I have an obsession with  decorating my home. It makes my husband bananas.  Usually it's my daughters rooms that get the make over. So the majority of our home stays stable ;)  Sometimes a new pillow or two will spruce it up enough for me for awhile. But other times I see something of inspiration and I'm in a zone. A "thrifty way to re do my girls bedroom" zone. This time...it was my pals room for her daughters. She got some black washi tape and made the most adorable black plus signs on their wall. I WAS HOOKED!
Similar to this adorable ness I found on etsy.
Well the particular room I had in mind for this was already yellow green and soft coral/pink.
These colors. This quilt. That dresser. All precious items and colors but I had it for so long and I was ready for something a tiny bit edgier. Bolder even if you will. So I started out with this AMAZING piece of fabric one of my palies gave me....DARLING.
We covered the lamp shade in it. (drool)






So THEN I thought okay. I will TRY coral in a room again. I had it done before in my other daughters room with a large dresser... and two days later freaked and switched it to teal. (I LOVE that teal dresser.)




But THIS time I'll do it and LOVE it! I can make coral my friend!! Yeah no. I bought a lovely shade of salmon paint and went at it with one of my girls. It was too much, so I sanded it a bit. A couple days later my pal about beat me up when she saw I painted it to white. It just wasn't working! I LOVED the dreamy girly whimsical feeling I had when I went into their room before. And with that coral, it was gone. It was bold. It was bright. And it was too much for me.

So I invited another palie over... to share my frustrations with. I WANT color...but not too much. I don't feel like every piece of furniture needs to be a color even though that might be the cutest thing to do and the trend. I just can't do it :( So with EVERYTHING white except a very light mint dresser, she suggested to make the handles on the dresser black. That the black and white polka dotted pillow cases my daughter made and the new floral blue pillows she made and black knobs would be enough edge and yet still keep the room soft. Hey guess what? I LOVED it!





Oh my goodness I LOVED it!! I loved it so much I did it to their desk too!

And then I wanted something really cutesy and boutique like for above their desk...so I went to the fabric spot with the tiniest scrap of that darling fabric left and bought this...

and then made this...





the dreamy little girls room that I was hoping would be airy and clean and yet have a tiny bit of edge was created. 




and yes...thats a pirate eye patch on my daughters cuddly Koala.




No comments:

Post a Comment