Monday, September 14, 2015

Fish slime...

We had a GREAT weekend. A calm escape to cooler weather and slower moments. Although not all four daughters were with us this day, we still managed to have a good time. These two little critters sure make us smile! And with fish slime and splashing water that was cold as can be, our smiles were ear to ear watching them! At one point, {L} caught a little fish and it was splashing her and freaked her out so badly she couldn't stop shaking her leg and backing up squealing! 

We loved watching {L} brave it out and be a great example to her big sister by holding the fish she caught and releasing it back into the water. She did it a couple times before {D} found her courage. That video is worth a watch (check it on my youtube channel...click side bar icon)...because guess what? My kids know how to throw a fit! Hey at least she tried!! And in the end, {D} DID hold a fish! They both were afraid it was going to poke them and that the fish slime was just too nasty!! Who LIKES fish slime anyway? :)
Its funny because ten years ago I wouldn't have ever said to my older girls that holding a fish CAN feel scary...I would never have wanted to let the word scary enter in their little minds. I didnt want them to be scared of anything ...so I wouldn't say the word. I only wanted them to feel peace and safety when I was with them. And that they didn't need to be afraid because I would help them through anything. We all learn as time goes by as parents, don't we. I was doing my best then. And it was pretty good. Now I know its safe and good to acknowledge the emotion they are feeling and say its okay to feel that. Because well guess what? Not saying the word doesn't meant they aren't feeling that emotion. Duh.  I'm telling you, I am NOT the parent I used to be. Not that me ten years ago was terrible...I've just learned new methods of teaching. Hence the reason to do our best to NOT judge each other. As long as we are doing the best we can, let us each learn, why don't ya! :)          
Okay enough serious talk. The very best part was our water fight! The girls splashed their daddy over and over until he finally gave in and jumped in the cold water with his clothes on! I am NOT one to jump in disgusting water with my clothes on...but I wanted so badly to play with them. So yeah, I put my OCD on the shore and jumped in! What. Wait what?! Yeah, guys. I did that. And even lived through it. And then we got one of the most delicious chocolate cream pies. Ever.  


I love that my man can have these great moments even though he doesnt have any sons to share them with. He might be missing out on SOME things...but not ALL of them! These girls are up for pretty much anything! 



Re-do this next weekend?? Yes please.   

No comments:

Post a Comment