Thursday, September 10, 2015

date night ideas...

Boy have date nights changed over the years. Once it was romantic, well thought out plans of adventures and teenage love. Then seldom outings as a couple because of the many little babies and low funds for a baby sitter. They became movies at home while the little ones slept. Which meant it was LATE at night and most of those times we would fall asleep on the couch. Sometimes we were smart an got them to bed early, bought out fave treats and popped popcorn to enjoy! We cuddled up with a blanket and enjoyed every moment! sometimes grocery shopping was what we called a date. Some nights we pulled out the playing cards and realized after 10 hands we can't STAND playing games with each other (one of us is FAR too competitive for the other.) Some nights I would read next to him while he drew up plans for his next job. Yes. That was considered a date. It was time spent together. And we were grateful for anything!

As our girls got older we found a new and HUGE sense of freedom! Like a 16 year old that just got their license! We could hop in the car and leave with a moments notice!! Oh my gosh WE ARRIVED!! We had waited so many years for this point in our lives!! We have two daughters that are old enough to tend to our children while we pretend we are teenagers again!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

Some of our favorite dates are:

-A drive to 7-11 for a slurpee and our fave songs on the radio.
-Our favorite fancy restaurant makes us feel like grown ups. 
-We also have a fun little pub like restaurant that plays live music some nights...LOVE that.
-A pizza and a picnic blanket in the back of my mans truck. 
-We still consider grocery shopping a date sometimes...but we start that date off with dinner :)
-Lazer tag is a FAVORITE!
-Golfing...and by golfing I mean I watch him play, I hit a few balls here and there but mostly I just want to go for the ride and the view...of my mans cute tush! ;)
-A few times my love has taken me for an ice cream and parked above the city. We got out and danced once to our fave songs, and another time we had a really good fight over something lame...like major girl fit thrown by your truly...and then we worked it out before the night was over. Reality folks. 


I'm sure there will come a day, sooner than we hope, when all our children are grown and every night is a date night. As we get older I see how different parenting and spouse life are. I just know it is so important to make time for each other. As much as we LOVE and adore our daughters, one day it will just be the two of us. Our girls will have their lives, loves and families. I don't want to watch our youngest leaving the nest and look over at my love and think...umm, who are you? 







No comments:

Post a Comment